Wednesday, January 7, 2009

AhmedaBob

The U.S. State Department provides international travel information on their website.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html


Let me share some quotes from their general country-specific information regarding India:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1139.html

"There is a high threat from terrorism throughout India and terror attacks are a serious and growing threat to U.S. citizens traveling and resident there. U.S. citizens are urged to always practice good security, including maintaining a heightened situational awareness and a low profile."

"U.S. citizens, particularly women, are cautioned not to travel alone in India. Western women continue to report incidents of physical harassment by groups of men." You can read what it goes on to say about this one; I won't post here.

"Women should observe stringent security precautions, including avoiding using public transport after dark without the company of known and trustworthy companions."


You can also view all the U.S. State Department's Travel Warnings ("issued when the State Department decides, based on all relevant information, to recommend that Americans avoid travel to a certain country") and Alerts ("means to disseminate information about terrorist threats and other relatively short-term and/or trans-national conditions posing significant risks to the security of American travelers").

They issued a Travel Warning for India on December 24, 2008.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_4398.html


Now, please read Mom's recent post:
http://awoman2008.blogspot.com/2009/01/nyc.html

7 comments:

Bengi said...

I know! But what are you going to do! Mom has to live her life the way she sees safe.

No you or I would not have gone!
But if this is what she felt she needed to do then who are we to judge her decision. Yes I think it is stupid and have told her so.

I just pray that she stays safe! That is all I can do!

chadandkimi said...

The point of the post was Bob telling her to take a bus from airport when she arrives at 3:10 a.m.

Bengi said...

Ok surely that was a joke. If he left her to find her way home at the airport he'll answer to me when he comes home again! And yes I mean it!

I would not in a million years believe he would not be there to meet her at the airport!

chadandkimi said...

Oh, it was a joke - okay, I get it now...joking to put the one you vowed to love, honor, cherish, & protect through that...I'm laughing hysterically now.

Her post today says both Bob & Chiraq were there when she arrived, thank goodness. I couldn't imagine him not being there either, but I also couldn't imagine that was something to joke about.

whatever...I don't get it...what's new?!

TravelinGranny said...

Everybody lighten up! I know that you are all worried, scared! I took a vow 26 years ago ok may the vow was only 10 years ago. But he is still my husband. I love him alot. This is also OUR business. The reasons that it came to India was NOT MY WISH. But things EVERYTHING happens for a reason. I am grateful that I have got to experience this beautiful country and all of the people I have met, have very high regards for their families. Two of those families have been extremely nice and I have NO fears.

I made my decision, thou not a popular one, I am glad that I came. Will I come back? Who knows. We have alot to work out before I can answer that. Please just pray for me. i don't think that God is thru with me yet.

I am being VERY cautious. We have a private driver. We have many American friends here. I will keep you all posted.

I love you all very much and don't want you to worry. I know that you will. If anything does happen Kimi, you can say "I told you so!"

TravelinGranny said...

Just ot clearify: When I said "Will I come back". I meant will I come back to India again.

TravelinGranny said...

I wish that you girls could come and experience the life that these people live. There is such beauty here. The way that these families care for each other. They don't put their parents in old folks homes. They are part of the system to raise the babies.

The cleaning lady is here. Dressed in a very colorful saree and rings on her toes and ankle bracelets. She makes music while she cleans. They are so very poor but they have so much more than we do!

They say that this is a life changing experience. It is truly that, every time I come, I am just amazed at life that these poeple live.

I am very grateful that I have the opportunity to come and experience the cultures of the world. Expanding my horizon. I hope that you all get to experience something like this in your lifetime.