Friday, June 12, 2009

Happy 16th Anniversary, Bengi & Tim!


Happy marriages begin when we marry the ones we love, and they blossom when we love the ones we marry.
~Tom Mullen


Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that.
~Michael Leunig

I didn't marry you because you were perfect. I didn't even marry you because I loved you. I married you because you gave me a promise. That promise made up for your faults. And the promise I gave you made up for mine. Two imperfect people got married and it was the promise that made the marriage. And when our children were growing up, it wasn't a house that protected them; and it wasn't our love that protected them - it was that promise.
~Thornton Wilder, The Skin of Our Teeth




I now think of marriage like I think about living in my home state of Minnesota. You move into marriage in the springtime of hope, but eventually arrive at the Minnesota winter, with its cold and darkness. Many of us are tempted to give up and move south at this point, not realizing that maybe we’ve hit a rough spot in a marriage that’s actually above average. The problem with giving up, of course, is that our next marriage will enter its own winter at some point. So do we just keep moving on, or do we make our stand now – with this person, in this season? That’s the moral, existential question we face when our marriage is in trouble.
~Bill Doherty




Marriage is someone who'll stand by you through all the trouble you wouldn't have had if you'd stayed single.
~Author Unknown


This cartoon from "HowToRuinAPerfectlyGoodMarriage.com"

I got gaps; you got gaps; we fill each other's gaps.
~Rocky


It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.
~Rita Rudner




I have no way of knowing whether or not you married the wrong person, but I do know that many people have a lot of wrong ideas about marriage and what it takes to make that marriage happy and successful. I'll be the first to admit that it's possible that you did marry the wrong person. However, if you treat the wrong person like the right person, you could well end up having married the right person after all. On the other hand, if you marry the right person, and treat that person wrong, you certainly will have ended up marrying the wrong person.
I also know that it is far more important to be the right kind of person than it is to marry the right person. In short, whether you married the right or wrong person is primarily up to you.
~Zig Ziglar

No comments: